Under the direction and supervision of the appropriate lead teacher, the assistant teacher will be responsible for assisting with the planning, development and implementation of all classroom activities. The assistant teacher will have specific assignments that provide for the children’s social, physical, and mental growth and will also work in any support role necessary for the operation of the child care program.
• To provide the children with a safe, loving and nurturing environment.
• To meet the children’s needs in all areas – physical, emotional, social and intellectual.
• To participate with the lead teacher in the implementation of the weekly lesson plans.
• To carry out appropriate and positive discipline established by the teacher.
• To see the program goals are implemented.
• To maintain a room arrangement that is safe, inviting, interesting and stimulating.
• To be sensitive and responsive to parents.
• To attend staff meetings and conferences.
• To assist in record-keeping for the classroom.
• Support the programs and goals of the YMCA.
• Assume all other duties as requested by lead teacher and director.
• Ability to work well with children
• Ability to lift 50 pounds.
• Ability to participate in all activities, i.e. games, sports, and other child appropriate activities
• Cooperate with teachers and directors
• Evidence of sufficient maturity and judgment to handle crisis situations.
• Documentation of physical examination and TB test.
• Compliance with requirements mandatory for state license within 14 days of hire.
• Attend staff development regularly as mandated by State of CT and the Wallingford Family YMCA.
• Current Infant/Child CPR and First Aid Certification required at all times. CT Child Care Certification recommended.
Safety is the responsibility of every employee of the association. Each employee is charged with adhering to the YMCA’s Safety and Risk Management program as directed by the management.